Sunday, October 31, 2010

Gruene time trial

Jon and I (the team "Lost Faculties") had our last bike race of the season today. It was a 2-person, 27 mile, bike time trial on a hilly and technically difficult course. The team's time is determined by the 2nd finisher, so the best strategy is to work together (taking turns leading) to cover the course as fast as possible. Teams started 30 seconds apart. We were entered in 100-109 years combined age division (Jon has 49 years, and I have 53).

Last year in this race, I crashed on a turn, so I was more than a bit nervous about the course.

As it turned out, things went well this year. We had a plan, and stuck to it. Jon lead me for most of the first half (including the hilly curvy bits where last year I crashed). He set a fast and steady pace, and I mostly drafted behind him, trying to keep fresh for the second half. After one big hill, the last 12 miles were mostly straight and rolling, and I did most of the leading, while Jon followed me. We caught and passed several other teams that started ahead of us, and no one passed us, which was encouraging. We finished in 1:06:54, with an average speed of almost 25 mph.

We were the first in our division of 100-109 years! We got cool little medals, and had our pictures taken while holding flowers. It was great fun!




Getting ready to head home, with bikes!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home