Sunday, November 15, 2009

new post

The triathlon & biking seasons ended with some mixed results.

I'd been having some trouble with sore hamstrings for several weeks before the Longhorn half-iron triathlon on October 25, so I hadn't been running much, and had been substituting lots of biking and swimming. In the race, I swam well, biked very well (top in age group), but bonked about half way through the 13 mile run, and had to do the survival shuffle for the last 6 miles. There is just no way to do a good triathlon without a good run.

On October 31 I did a 16 mile bike time trial in Gruene, TX, which went well, 37:46 on a fairly difficult course.

The next day, Nov. 1, I did a 2-person 27 mile team bike time trial in Gruene, with my biking buddy Jon H. We were going very well for the 1st 12 miles, then I took a turn too fast, and wiped out pretty hard. After taking a minute to make sure nothing was broken, I got back up and finished the last 15 miles. We still averaged about 24 mph, but were not nearly as good as we should have been. I ended up with a lot of road rash and 3 stitches on my hand. Two weeks later, I am still sore in a few places, but getting better every day, and I am pretty sure there is no real damage. That should be the last time I take a turn too fast on a bike, lesson learned.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home