Friday, August 25, 2006

My 3 hour marathon story (February 2004)

My Marathon Story (February 2004) by David Hoffman

First some background:

Two and a half years ago, just before my 44th birthday, I saw my doctor for an annual physical. I definitely felt like I was approaching middle age. I didn't have much energy, my cholesterol was a little high, and the doctor said I should lose some weight. I distinctly remember walking away from the doctor's office feeling really down. Then, I decided I had reached a fork in the path of my life - I could continue on the road to becoming a chubby old man, or I could do something about it. That same day I decided two things - I would exercise every day, and I won't eat junk.

I had been a pretty good runner when I was in my 20s. I had almost broken 3 hours in the marathon twice - I ran a 3:00:43 marathon in 1980 in Lyme Connecticut at the age of 22, and a 3:00:39 a year later (Nittany Valley Marathon, 1981), and also a few others under 3:10, but never under 3 hours. Later I had gradually given it up as pressures of career took too much of my energy. My weight gradually increased, especially as I passed 40 years old. It had always been a regret of mine that I had never run a sub-3 hour, since I probably could have done it when I was younger. But I figured that chance had long since passed by.

Well, after two years of exercising again, I went from a 44 year old that was barely able to run mile, up to the point where I could think of running a 3 hour marathon again. After a year of training I ran a 3:02:30 at Austin (in 2003), so I figured I had a shot at a sub 3 hours in 2004.

Now for the race report - Austin marathon, Feb 15, 2004:

The weather was just about perfect, 37 degrees F at the start, and almost no wind.

I started the morning at 4:30 am - two cups of black coffee, no food. Not too much water yet, so I don't have to pee every ten minutes. Head for the start at about 5:45 am, with my wife and sister (my sister is doing the half-marathon). Mostly sit in the car for an hour to keep warm, only venturing out for a short jog to get my legs moving. At 6:50 am I head to the start line, carrying two 20 ounce bottles of water, which I drink about 5 minutes before the start. I see lots of familiar faces, from the Distance Challenge race series, and the 30K five weeks ago.

The Austin course is pretty fast, its point-to-point with about a 300 foot elevation drop. Unfortunately, all of the elevation drop is in the first 14 miles. The last 12 miles are rolling, not flat, but no monster hills, just little ones.

I got across the start line in 7 seconds, and went through the first mile in 6:35, a bit fast but not too unreasonable. 40:10 at the 10K split, which is a bit fast for me, but its downhill. I see my wife Lisa with a sign saying "Go Dave Go" at 7 miles (I didn't know she made me a sign!). 1:25:13 at the half marathon mark, which is way too fast for me, but it didn't feel too fast. No real fatigue yet.

I see my wife again at 14 miles, and she hands me a 24 ounce water bottle, which I completely drink over the next half mile. There is a long gradual uphill heading for the turn around at the 17 mile mark, where I get my first hint of tired legs. This is the only part of the course where I can see the really fast runners heading back from the turn around, which is amusing. They sure are fast! After turning around at mile 17, I start heading back myself, and see the crowd of runners behind me (hi Noah!). There is a big pack a few minutes behind me, which must be the 3 hour pace group. I hope I don't see them again until the finish!

My legs are feeling a bit tired at 18, but this is normal, right? I haven't slowed down, still running around 6:40 per mile. But the splits are getting a bit harder to figure, my brain is getting a bit slow. I do a PR for 30K. And 2:12:02 at 20 miles, also a PR for me. My wife has another sign for me at 20 - "Run Baby Run". It seems silly, but it really does perk me up!

Mile 21 is 7:00 minutes - but I figure I can run 7's the rest of the way and still hit 2:56.

Mile 22 has a little hill, which really slows me down. A 7:20 for this one.

Mile 23 is a 7:40, uh-oh!

Somewhere in 24 there is a little hill (or maybe slight upward slope) and it nearly stops me. My legs are absolutely burning now, but the most frustrating thing is they won't do what my brain tells them to! An 8 minute mile. I am doing OK on the flat and downhill, but an uphill slope on mile 25 nearly kills me, my legs just won't move. A little hill at the bridge over the interstate slows me down again, and makes me dizzy. Over 8 minutes for mile 25.

My mile 25 split is 2:50:10 - all I need is to do 8 minute pace for a little over a mile, and I will break 3 hours. Unfortunately, I can barely move my legs, and any slight irregularity in the road surface threatens to send me sprawling. But I am still running (though not very fast). I think I can do an 8 minute mile!

I see Palmer auditorium, the finish line, and my watch says 2:57 and some seconds. I am running as fast as I can, but it is pathetic. Then I can see the digital clock at the finish line, it says 2:59 and something. But I'm not there yet. The finish line announcer asks the crowd to cheer for those trying to get under 3 hours - but the next time I look at the finish line clock I see 3:00:10. I'm across the line at 3:00:41.

But I'm not really disappointed. I know I would have been disappointed if I hadn't given it my best effort. But I fought every step of the way, and never gave up. That was all I had in me.

Now, a few days later, I am pretty much recovered, and I am just amazed at how much better it feels to be 46 years old, compared to when I was 44.

PS - I wonder if I am the only person in the world who has run 3 sub 3:01 marathons without ever breaking 3 hours. That sure is weird!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here is a test comment, :-)

10:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that was a great marathon story and i really enjoyed reading it, especially that i, too, am trying to break 3 hours for my upcoming 40th birthday - and this, after years of non-running! very inspiring story! thanks again!

3:43 PM  
Blogger Dan said...

I enjoyed your marathon story (and your triathlon stories I googled upon as I searched for wheels for my bike). I've run a couple sub 3-hour marathons, but my last at age 36, was just over 3 hours. To be able to do that at age 46 is quite good. Keep it up!

11:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home